Saturday, January 2, 2010

Looking Ahead

   I've never done New Year's Resolutions. I think that mid-winter is an odd time to begin anything - it's hard enough to get the usual things done. I'm much more likely to resolve, and follow through, in the springtime. Be that as it may, a new year has begun and I'm thinking about goals for our family for the upcoming year. Most of these will likely begin once the lost year is completed (in the spring!), but it's helpful to list them now. Perhaps you will keep me accountable.

(1) Buy a new bed. It's no accident that this is the first item on my list, but it will likely be the last thing we do. I want a super soft king size from Urban Organics. Alas, the organic part (which I'm not even that interested in) jacks up the price. We could certainly last another year with our full size, but as a life-long insomniac I'd rather not.

(2) Convert our master bedroom to a rumpus room. Jon will only consent to this if we call it a rumpus room. That's fine with me - I just want a better use of the space. It's a large room, and all we do is sleep there. What a waste. Additionally, I have more craft supplies than clothing, so the walk-in closet isn't even used to capacity. We'll see how this works. I'm not sure the spare room is compatible with Goal #1, so I need to get out the measuring tape first.

(3) Start discussions about getting a cat. I'm still undecided, but I read somewhere that having pets improves the development of empathy in children. That may justify the pet hair. A dog is out of the question. I dislike dogs.

(4) Figure out how to exercise. Jon and I used to be active, but nowadays we're either too tired or the logistics are overly challenging. Winter does not help things, so this may remain on the back burner until spring has sprung and over-sized sweaters are no longer an option. It's also inherently tied to #5.

(5) Get Isaac to sleep through the night. This may not seem like a difficult thing, or even something that needs help from me. But it is, and it will.

(6) Do something with the yard. Anything. Anything at all.

I'll end this post with a paraphrase from one of my favorite books.
"New Years has come.
Last year has gone.
Next year is another one!
Every year, from here to there,
funny things are everywhere."

2 comments:

  1. Well I hear you with the dog thing--especially because they are the kind of work that you may not care to get into with an infant around, BUT we got a dog this summer and I've gotten regular exercise for the first time since ales was born because i walk the dog every morning 2-4 miles. It has been a great gift!

    ReplyDelete
  2. RE the cat... think long and hard. As much as I love cats... it hasn't done much for Adrian's empathy. He just pulls her tail and her hair, and no amount of holding his hand and demonstrating "gentle!" has done anything to stop it. So maybe try out a tester cat at someone else's house first, or wait until Isaac's a little older.

    ReplyDelete