Saturday, October 3, 2009

Unnecessary baggage

Went grocery shopping this afternoon so our formerly empty fridge is now mostly full. Only mostly, since I'm getting more frozen (as opposed to fresh) veggies these days. Isaac has a bad habit of requiring sustenance exactly when I'm supposed to be making dinner. Regardless of when dinner is.

I'm getting twinges of guilt in the produce aisle these days. It's those silly plastic bags. I hate thinking that they're just going to end up in a landfill, but I'm too cheap to buy mesh ones. What to do? Sometimes I reuse them, which I suspect makes me seem like a crazy cat person. Or like someone that brings their own salad dressing to a restaurant. I know I could recycle these bags at the store, but do they really get recycled? And anyway, I have a hard enough time remembering my canvas grocery bags.

Actually, the big news is that Anna actually fell asleep in the cart. She never falls asleep in the cart - generally she's flying down the aisles, so it was nice to have Sleeping Beauty for a change. The reason that she was sleeping there in the first place was that we've cut out her formal naps. More or less (she's snoring on the couch as I type). I feel very ambivalent about this since she seems to need a nap in the late afternoon. Obviously, since she fell asleep in an uncomfortable cart, right? Inevitably, however, naps lead to late bedtimes. I'm talking 9:30 or 10:00, which is past my own bed time these days.
Regardless of her nap needs, I'm pretty sure that I need a one so I've tried various tactics to keep her entertained:
(1) Quiet time in her room.
      Pros: daughter gets some down time, location of daughter always known
      Cons: lasts all of 15 minutes, commences with screams & door banging if mommy is insistent, very little mommy rest achieved

(2) Watching a show in the family room
     Pros: she gets some down time, lasts about 30 minutes, no doors to bang, sometimes she falls asleep on her own, greatest potential for mommy nap!
     Cons: location of daughter not assured.

[This last point has become an issue only very recently, resulting in the consumption of half containers of Cool Whip, medicated powders coating my bathroom, chairs pulled up to mantels to retrieve toys that are out of reach for a reason, etc.]

(3) Lots of coffee in the morning for mommy, so she has enough energy to read books to daughter in the p.m.
     As yet untested. Will try this out, and report back.

2 comments:

  1. She feel asleep in the GROCERY CART?! That is crazy talk. The transition to no naps is so tough; I feel like Grace has been toying with it for, oh, over a year now. She takes probably 2 or 3 naps a week, which makes it so hard to predict when she will take one and then of course makes bedtime so rough when she does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, it sounds like a page from my diary.

    Love, mom

    ReplyDelete