Friday, April 16, 2010

Notes from the week

Wednesday evening our run of good health (2 1/2 weeks!) came to a halt with the arrival of Anna's cold and Isaac's fever. Is this the same illness with different presentations? If so, how interesting! If not, I imagine our housebound status will be extended as they catch each other's illnesses. So sad because, again, Anna's fun weekend (gymnastics, Pinnochio at the children's theater, a sleep over at grandma's house) is likely canceled. It has been replaced with the usual uncertainty of whether or not to give Anna a shot of her nebulizer, as well as a desire for a decent stethescope (sp?) so I can hear whether she's wheezing.
Blah. Anyway, my energy level is low so thought I'd just post a few random tidbits from the week.
  • Sweeping is never truly done.
  • Whyyyyyyyy dooooooooo threeeeeeee yeeeeeaaaaaaarrrr oooooooolds taaaaaaaaaaaaake sooooooo looooooooong tooooooo dooooooooo aaaaaaanyyyyyythiiiiiiinnnnnnnngggggggggg?
  • New plan for 3yo: Slowly count to 5 after requesting an action. If action remains incomplete at this time, repeat. Threaten time out. Time out.
  • Things that don't go well with sand: diapers, sun screen, siblings, drool.
  • Babies with fevers are the saddest thing ever.
  • Thank you, Isaac for putting away your toys. However, they do not live in the garbage can.
  • Spring in CO is windy. Crazy windy. Luckily, no lawn furniture has been lost thus far.
  • Isaac lasted a whole hour at a babysitter's house without crying. Yay!
  • Working out more regularly the past three weeks. I suspect this is unlikely to continue.
  • Why is food yucky when baby is in the high chair, but tasty when it is on the floor?
  • Isaac has started biting mommy all over. When Anna did that, I responded with a stern "no." Very effective. In contrast, Isaac just giggles at the "no." Suggestions?
  • Considering a larger vehicle (crossover? minivan?) after realizing that we may be unable to fit everything for our vacation in our car. Also, it's a bummer to have to wedge myself into the backseat, between car seats, whenever Mom or Dad flies down. I like our high mpg cars, and I hate car payments, so this is a big paradigm shift for me. Stay tuned.
  • If birds are brave enough to build a nest on my porch light, beside the giant plastic owl that I recently erected to prevent this behavior, they should be allowed to stay.
  • Have a great desire to plant raspberries. 

2 comments:

  1. Oooooh, planting raspberries! You are lucky to be in such a good climate for that.

    So the biting is while nursing? One thing that worked for me was to end the feeding, a stern "no", put the baby down on the floor, and walk away into another room. This combination of horrible abandonment-type things usually made my girls wail and I think helped nip any biting in the bud. (I still occasionally got bitten during sickness and serious stuffy noses because of breathing-related frustration, in full disclosure.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete