Friday, February 12, 2010

This and That

It's been a couple of weeks since my last post, and frankly I can't quite remember what's happened during that time. I know that the kids finished up their course of antibiotics, and now Isaac has moved on to his next cold. Drat.

This weekend will be a busy one for us, which is likely why I'm focused on the present instead of the past. Our small group is hosting a parent-child Valentine's dance at our church, and I'm helping out with the food, among other things. So today is baking day. I'm getting re-acquainted with my camp cook book (in another life, I was thus employed) and have been making Congo Bars (a simple bar cookie with an odd name), Rice Krispie squares, and puffed wheat squares. The latter seems unknown in these parts, so I'm curious to know what the locals think. The Congo Bars are a little disappointing relative to my memory, so I've made some changes to the recipe. A little late for this batch, but whatever. Jon figures I'm making too much food, but I'd hate to run out of desserts. I know Anna could eat four of anything and she's just one kid. (Please note that I will endeavor to prevent this.)
In light of all these sweets it's a good thing that Anna is at her grandparents' house tonight. There will be bars and squares all over the available counter space by this evening, which would be a sore temptation for such a little sprout. It's a sore enough temptation for me.

Baking would have been done by now if Isaac had taken a decent nap, so of course he didn't. Nonetheless, he is napping now after being a bit of a crab this morning. He seems to be down to one short and one long nap a day. Although he's been sick so much, it's hard to tell whether this is his illness or actual development. One nap a day would be nice - we could actually go to the zoo or the children's museum or some other fun place. I guess the lost year isn't really over until that morning nap drifts off. But other than the virus, he's doing very well and deserves his own post. So I shall stop there.

The biggest news, literally, is that we actually purchased a bed this week. A soft king-size. It's not my dream mattress, but it's quite comfortable. If you will recall, this purchase was one of my goals for 2010. I was skeptical as to whether we'd actually follow through this year, but the air mattress in the guest room finally bit the dust so it seemed as good a time as any. I finally slept on it last night (odoriferous new mattress!) and am quite happy. It sure is different from our full size.

I hear Isaac whimpering. Nuts. Should have finished the squares while I had the chance.

1 comment:

  1. I was baking tonight too! Or more accurately, frosting cupcakes, which were baked with Grace's help earlier today. Tomorrow is her 4th birthday party!

    Both times we have had a baby I go through stages of desperately wanting a king-sized bed, what with the pregnant misery and then all the cosleeping and whatnot. We have still not made the plunge, so I don't know if we ever will. Enjoy yours...

    ReplyDelete