Thursday, January 10, 2013

January, we meet again.

I just completed one of the most stressful tasks in these modern times: the purchase of airline tickets. And not just straightforward, there-and-back-again tickets. Instead, numerous one ways from different cities with different combinations of people, using a mixture of miles and cash and airlines. I'm emotionally and financially spent. And not even relieved. The post-ticket buying period always leaves me feeling icky and stressed. After all, it just takes one pukey family member to upend the whole complicated algorithm. 
But it's done now, and I can look forward to where these tickets will take us this summer: Alberta, Saskatchewan, Colorado, and New Mexico. Two immediate families, two extended families, and some dearly missed friends. Homes, RVs, cabins, and 4-star retreats. And about 24 hours of driving. But let's forget about that last part, shall we?

It's good to have something to look forward to, since this is January. Every time it comes 'round, I lament this long and drawn out month. So let's save some time this year:

*insert long, drawn out lament here*

Okay, now THAT'S off my chest, and we can chat about more pleasant things, like Christmas.
It was a lovely and peaceful Christmas, for many reasons. To begin with, Jon took a week off work. It was nice just to have him around so we could all decently decompress; a typical two day weekend still doesn't provide that for us.
Even more delightful, Jon's parents were able to join us from Christmas to New Year's. The kids were over the moon to have their grandparents here. Not to mention the fact that they watched the kids while Jon and I went out to dinner one night, and to see The Hobbit one afternoon. Babysitters have been hard to come by, so we hadn't gone out since... well, since our trip to California. And it was just nice to chat with them and catch up and have actual adult conversations.
[Aside: I liked The Hobbit a lot. And although I was initially skeptical, I now welcome the idea of having it spread out into three movies. So often I say "that move didn't do the book justice in the time allotted." Finally, a decent amount of time allotted.]

The week was also peaceful because we let some things go. For example, we debated whether to venture to D.C. or even Pennsylvania, but in the end we stayed close to home. And that was perfect. We didn't have to go anywhere, or do anything in particular. Instead, we read books, went on walks, built Legos, and played games. Actually, if I had to pick a theme for this year's holiday season it would be games - both real and virtual. New this year were Uno and the Game of Life. Anna made up her own rules for the former, and they ended up being numerical flash cards. But fun flash cards. Isaac has a better handle on this whole "number thing" now. Anna received a great memory game; simple enough, but with a nice combination of verbal and nonverbal items to remember. Her memory never ceases to amaze me - she leaves us all in the dust. Isaac isn't far behind, although now he'd rather just build towers with the game pieces.

The virtual games also turned out to be a family affair. As in, I actually played a video game and enjoyed it. Lego's Indian Jones, to be exact. It's not too complicated, and there's plenty of puzzles. So Anna helps solve the puzzles, and Isaac yells at us to "Get the money!!" and "Shoot the bad guys!" and "Blow that up!" Interactive fun for everyone. Shocking, really.

The last component of our peaceful Christmas was good health. No one was sick for the entire week. We had forgotten what that was like, and seem to be forgetting again. The viruses are back from vacation too, it seems.

Oh, and it SNOWED on Christmas Eve!!! For the first time! I felt this was a miracle. We ran around and caught snowflakes on our tongues, and managed to make a mini-snowman. It even snowed a couple of more times during that week. Nothing major, but enough to make the mood a little more festive. (This reminds me: Anna watched White Christmas with me and actually enjoyed it. I like that she's getting old enough to enjoy non-cartoony media.)

Next up is finding a dentist. I am so behind on this, and we need to find someone stat. I just hate putting in that detective work. Pediatric dentist? Regular dentist? Too many choices. And not enough insurance. Maybe I'll tackle that tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you enjoyed Lego Indiana, still haven't found a copy of it around. Also agreed on the Hobbit account. Can't wait to see you and the kids this summer!

    As an aside this site works awesome on my phone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sharon - it sounds like a lovely Christmas! My favourite ones are where I get to stay home and hopefully relax! Too much cooking this year - but thats another story. I am SO glad it snowed, just for you!! The smell of the air on a snowy day just can not be replicated by any scented product anywhere! If I could skip the very cold weather, I would, but sad to say I think Canadian winters are part of my deepest memories, triggered especially by the scent.

    I LOVED your Christmas letter, so well done! Different format from the usual, thank goodness! Sounds like you had a tough year, I hope things will settle down for you once you have all your support system in place. I am SO excited that you are coming this summer, do you already have the dates that you will be here? We want to make sure there are some kiddies around to play with Anna and Isaac.

    We had our own challenges in December, and continue into January - mostly to do with Elaine's health. She is a lot better right now, but for her, I think it will always be more or less of a battle. I feel so sad for people who dont have family around to help them, as the health care system has let us down badly. I should not be surprised - but it caught me off guard.

    Thanks again for your blog and letter, I should probably have written you an email instead of put all this in here!! Hugggsss and love, g.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the "google account name" the letter is from your Aunt Gladys!

      Delete
  3. Oh my. That sounds like quite the travel this summer. :)

    I am one of those people who likes January, I share a little sheepishly. I like cold weather, and although I love the holidays, I love putting away all the stuff and having a clean, clutter-free house. I love getting back into routines and regularity and all that too, although this week (our first back to school/work/everything) has absolutely knocked us sideways. I think we're out of practice for our regular life.

    ReplyDelete