Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Bone yards, with cow

That's probably the strangest label+ I've put on a box so far, and it highlights the highly personal nature of packing one's house. I've had many offers of help when it comes to packing, but at the end of the day it's something we need to do ourselves. Not only does it afford the exquisite opportunity to organize and purge, but only we know which things will go into storage and which will be unpacked. Since we're downsizing (*sigh*) and renting for an unspecified time (*double sigh*) quite a proportion of our things will remain in boxes. Perhaps once we retire (*sigh in the form of a question mark*) I will be able to unpack and use my lovely wedding china.

So packing is coming along, and I'm almost done with the non-essentials. Of course, there's a shocking amount of essentials, but I'm trying not to dwell on that. My mom is now here, and we have been taking turns distracting the kids which has been helpful. She has also brought a ton of dill flavoured rice cakes (along with some salt-and-vinegar and sour-cream-and-onion) which for some reason we can't buy here. (We also can't buy catsup flavoured potato chips, but I am not sad about that).

In terms of child-distraction it's a tough time here. The hottest June on record has just concluded, so basically the only thing we can do outside is swim. Luckily, our rec center has a nice pool and we know a fair number of people with community pools. We've probably swam more in the last month than in the past 4 years combined. This has had a positive effect on Anna's relationship with water, which has always been testy. She has managed to dunk herself under the water a few times which was a big leap forward. Isaac has discovered the concept of floating around in a tube. Things become a little hairy when he wants to float around sans tube.

I've also been intentional about taking the kids to some of their favorite places one last time to say goodbye. I want us to "end well" as my friend put it. We've got one or two places left to go, and then I'll feel we've attained closure. I try not to dwell on the finality of these excursions, but I do take pictures and note that this will be our last time at a particular place. Through all this I've felt a little robbed. This is Anna's last summer before starting kindergarten, and I wanted to spend this time having fun and exploring new places, instead of saying good bye to old ones. Isaac is also older, and since he's not napping anymore, we have more time to go out and do interesting things like hiking and swimming in actual lakes. I try not to think about this too much, but once in awhile I'm reminded and get a little sulky.

All in all, I think Anna is ready to go now. Heaven knows it's getting boring around here, what with the swing set gone and more and more toys disappearing into boxes. It is hard to communicate to the kiddos that I need to spend time packing instead of playing tea party or cars. Too often I've resorted to "I need to pack this or it can't come with us to Maryland." [Overall, I think I'm resorting to threats with greater frequency than I ought. Bad pattern of behavior, and trying to work on this.] I have a whole collection of novel crafts and toys and books that are awaiting the car trip, and I pray I don't need to use them before we head out. I also hope the temps cool down so Mom can take them to the park.

So that's what's going on here. I'm proud of my kids for handling this situation with as much grace as possible. They are such flexible little creatures, and I can learn from them. Relative to us adults they easily make new friends, adjust to new situations, and make fun wherever they are. Surely Maryland will be no exception.

-------------------------------
+For the interested: The bone yards are a collection of broken items that are awaiting crazy glue. The cow is a smaller version of the bovines that dotted New York for awhile (she is also awaiting glue). I had never been to NYC before, and when I saw these cows everywhere it made me feel a little more at ease.

No comments:

Post a Comment